Tuesday, June 05, 2007

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Summer....

First order of business... a gross picture. Open at your own risk. This is what Chris did to his thumb last week at work. The photo was taken on Sunday after he soaked his thumb for about 30 minutes to loosen the gauze from his finger. And then it still hurt to remove the bandage.

Next up- my garden. Already things are progressing well, and things have only been planted for a week! The tomatoes are growing, and are up to or over the first rung of their cages. I saw flowers on one of my cucumbers this week as well as on my peas. Slowly but surely, the garden is coming along!

So what have I planted? Let's go on a "tour" starting at the top.

To the right of this section of garden is the small patio. You can just see the corner of it in the top right of the photo.

In the box is a tomato plant, 3 marigolds and some carrots. The carrots have not yet sprouted, but I imagine they'll come up this week. Next to the box on the trellis are cucumbers. You can't really see it in the photo, but next to the trellis are some cosmos. We'll see how well those do.

In front of the trellis are 6 pepper plants, and in front of those as well as the second tomato are 6 heads of iceberg lettuce. And the final thing in this section are a few flowers along the right hand size- impatiens and allyssum.

The next stop on the "tour" is my herb garden.

Here we have 2 chive plants. I've had these chives since I lived on Myrtle Street. That means they're at least 6 years old, maybe 7. They also have moved 4 times and been transplanted twice. They are thriving very nicely here.

On the trellis in the back are sweet peas, the only non-herb in this section, but I decided I needed some flowers.

In front of the trellis towards the left is some lemon balm. Any thoughts on what exactly one does with lemon balm?

Then we have 4 basil plants and 2 parsley.

And to round out the section we have more impatins and allysum along the stones on the left.


Moving down from the herb garden we have, what I believe is, the thinnest section of my garden.

In the back on beans. I transplanted 3 that I had started inside. Two of them are doing really well and the one in the middle isn't so hot. It was the runt of the group when I brought them outside. I also direct sewed a number of other beans and this morning I noticed that they had sprouted.

In front of the beans we have two lavender plants. I hope those do well because I would love to make some sachets with my own lavender.

In front of the lavender are 6 garlic plants. I planted these last fall and they seem to be doing well.

The final veggies of the group are 6 plants of leaf lettuce along the right and in front.

And for flowers we have marigolds along the left.

The final section of our tour brings us to my sugar snap peas. At the moment that is the only plant in this section (other than a few weeds poking up) but soon I will be planting peonies, ranunculus, and some summer daffodils. Depending on space I may get some more annuals as well.

There is one more section to the left of this one, but at the moment it is full of weeds. I've ordered some other plants for this section, and hopefully they will be arriving soon. A hosta is on its way, but there are others plants that should be coming as well.

1 comment:

~Mel said...

Dan would be quite envious if he saw these...since I wasn't able to get things planted, we're off to a very rocky start this season and Dan's getting antsy.

I love your garden and all the hardwork you've put into it!