Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Funk

So normally I'm really into Christmas- the decorations, making cards, entertaining, etc. This year it all seems like such a chore. Not really sure why. I've just felt like I have so much going on that I haven't had a chance to do half the stuff I want to. Our house has been a complete mess. Been too busy to clean. Started decorating at the beginning of December- brought all the boxes up from the basement, started decorating, and then the boxes have sat around for three weeks. Finally finished getting all the ornaments on the tree this morning. Still need to finish a couple little things.

As to cards, Chris has been an incredible help this year. In the past he has always helped me make the cards, but usually just with mundane things- the cutting, etc. Well last weekend when I was finishing up the cookbooks I asked him if he could work on the cards. I had already cut all the paper to size, so that was a start. I put him to work stamping, coloring, and doing the "snow" technique. And he did that for all of our cards- about 80 or so of them. Yesterday I helped assemble them, but really this year he did all the creative part of them. Way to go Chris. I told some of the gals at work that Chris had been working on the cards so when I gave them their cards yesterday they told me to tell him that he did a great job. And he really did! This morning I gto them into the mail, so people should be getting them on Tuesday or Wednesday. Again, I normally get these out at the beginning of the month. I hate being this late, but life got in the way.

I was out finishing up my shopping today. I was exhausted. I called my mom to ask her what color pants she wanted. (She had previously told me, but I think I threw away the paper with that info.) I sounded really tired and dragged down. She could obviously tell this. She told me to stop and go home. "Christmas is supposed to be a joyous time." Yes Mom, you're right. Luckily I only had one more stop. When I got home I put the groceries away and then read for a little bit and took a two hour nap. Tons of stuff that maybe I "should" have been doing, but I needed that break.

Anyway, I hope that all of you are finding a bit more joy in the season than I am. But now maybe I can relax for a few days. Tomorrow evening we're celebrating with my dad, Liz, and Hanna, and then going to the 11:00 service (our equivalent of a midnight mass) at our church. Andrew, Chris and I will spend the night at my mom's, and then Christmas morning come back to our place to celebrate Christmas. Tuesday Darlene and Steve are coming over for a while (not sure what we'll do with them, maybe board games?) and on Wednesday Tami and I are planning to meet up. Then I'll have either Thursday or Friday off. I have a ton of work to do, so I'll be going in one day next week. And if your'e lucky, tomorrow when there is better light, I'll post some pictures of my Christmas decorations. I have a forest in my craft room. :)

3 comments:

Tami said...

i know what you mean, it seems like everyone SHOULD be in a good mood but it's hard. it's stressful (even if you think it's not) I'm sure the few days off from work will do you go. Still all set to meet on Wednesday. I drove on 101 today but I STILL don't know where it is actually.

~Mel said...

I find that the Christmas Funk is definitely the hardest to get out of, of all the funks.

Tracy said...

I join you in the Christmas funk. I just don't know where I lost "control" of Christmas. The shopping for the kids went well. But that is probably because we finished that very early.

Then it seems that everyone over the age of 70 in our family (husband's as well) got sick. And not just a cold sick but cancer (grand parents), precancer (my mom), broken ankles (2 my mom, yes I said 2), spots on lungs (my dad) and I can't even explain my husbands grandmother but she is now in a nursing home eating so little that it is just a matter of time.

So somewhere in the middle of all of this, I just got funky. My baking never got done and I am fine with that. Hopefully all will be better next year!